Halloween in Australia has always been a bit of a funny one. Some say it’s just another American thing that doesn’t really work here, where others love the chance to get dressed up and happily spook friends and family.
Is it really relevant? Does it really matter? The whole idea is just to relax and have a bit of fun. There can’t be any harm in that, especially these days.
Oh and just so you know, it’s actually an old Celtic tradition that was brought over to the States, but no-one needs a history lesson.
If you do plan on celebrating Halloween in Australia, we have some tips that will make your day uniquely down-under.
We’ll let you in on a little secret… the key ingredient is having a great pair of Halloween contact lenses to wear.
Halloween in Australia Vs America
- remember that it is usually much warmer during October in Australia - don’t pick a costume that you will overheat in
- remember that not everyone participates - don’t be surprised if your neighbours don’t hand out lollies to everyone who turns up at their house
- with that in mind, many neighbourhoods set up a network for the kids who want to participate - chat to your neighbours to organise your own Halloween
- adults tend to use this date as an excuse to throw a themed costume party (as if you needed an excuse?) so don’t be surprised if your friends appropriate this American holiday for their own benefit
- how popular is Halloween in Australia? The popularity increases every year — it is still very different to the US where almost everyone participates, but you can see more and more houses with decorations, and more and more shops selling themed goods — you can always trust capitalism to give you a gauge on popularity
Iconic Australian Themed Halloween Costumes
Put an Aussie spin on Halloween and dress up as one of your favourite national icons. We’ve put a list of some of our best down-under themed costume ideas, just in case you needed a little inspiration.
- Steve Irwin (RIP) or any other member of the Irwin family — just wear khaki from head to toe
- Crocodile Dundee — hot tip: use a blunt prop knife instead of a real one to avoid being arrested
- Australian animals — celebrate our natural fauna before climate change kicks in
- Corey Worthington — don’t forget the iconic yellow sunglasses
- Mel and Koshie — a throwback to the dynamic morning show duo
- Lee Lin Chin and her asymmetrical outfits
- A tall poppy
- Bananas in pyjamas
- Kath and Kim — a real crowd pleaser
- Carl and Susan — walk around all night singing the Neighbours theme song = truly terrifying
- A Gold Logie
- The lighthouse from Round the Twist
Your Halloween will be complete if you get into the true Aussie spirit of self-deprecation. Find a way to make fun of yourself or our nation and you are sure to rack up the complements.
And now it is time for the best part of the article — where we tell you about our amazing Halloween contact lenses.
Imagine Carl and Susan with zombie eyes? Or a vampire kangaroo? Or a Gold Logie with a golden gaze? Give your Aussie themed costume some X-factor with our premium contact lenses.
If you are looking for a reputable Australian supplier of coloured contacts, you’ve found the right place. Complete your Australian themed Halloween by shopping with Colour Lenses AU. We can have your local order shipped to your door in record time.
Get yourself a spooky or creepy pair of your new favourite Halloween contact lenses and you’ll be having a ball!
Shop online now and get in touch if you have any questions.
Enjoy your Australian Halloween!