Halloween costume ideas – the ones that will be a success and the ones that will suck.
There are some seriously sensational Halloween costumes and there are ones that are seriously criminal. As in, the person who thought them up should be in prison – oh, and made to wear that idiotic outfit every day.
When it comes to Halloween costume ideas, you have to treat it like a bit of a test.
Work out a list of ideas for what you want and can wear (skin tight outfits with love handles, uh uh), do the hair-do, the make-up and for crying out loud, get yourself some friggin’ Halloween contact lenses!
Forget about following any guide for dressing up for Halloween, there are golden rules that you must stick to. (You got that Darren! The whole dressing up as a dead celebrity is like curry beer – bad taste!)
The Do’s and Don’ts for Halloween Outfits
Here’s a handy list of the good and bad choices when it comes to Halloween costume ideas that everyone should follow. And we mean everyone!
- DO your homework on your costume. Have your list of ideas – go for at least 4 and no more than 10 otherwise you will second-guess yourself.
- DON’T think you will just ‘wing it’ on the night and find something to wear. You won’t and you will look lame. A beetroot stained shirt is not a bloody zombie outfit – got that Shane?
- DO stick with your best costume idea and make sure it is one you can pull off. You shouldn’t be taking out a loan to pay off the ridiculous amount you spent on the outfit, but don’t be thinking that you’re Two Dollar Shop costume looks great, you silly cheapskate.
- DON’T go with the first thing you think of or found on your internet search. If you are even thinking of using the words, “Yeah, that’ll do” it’s going to be “No, it won’t”. It’s like buying a birthday gift, if you don’t put any thought into it then you’re just saying you couldn’t give a shippadeedoodah. (Wrapping up a packet of Violet Crumbles you bought at the 7/11 on the way to the party? Classy, Darren, reaaaaal classy!)
- DO ask a good friend for advice about your top picks for a costume idea. Watch their eyes in case they are being a bit too nice about telling you that you could wear a Wonder Woman outfit but you can tell it’s really a big fat No!
- DON’T copy someone else’s Halloween costume idea because you’re both going to look like half-arsed or copy cats and it’s going to be all your fault. Unless you’re one of those people who doesn’t have a conscience, in which case – go for it. Oh and also, go to hell!
That’s the basics of choosing Halloween costume ideas and how you can avoid a disaster.
If you need help, have a look at these handy blogs that can steer you in the right direction.
Maybe you’re after a wickedly wonderful Wonder Woman Costume:
There are a few other key ingredients that will help make or break your Halloween outfit.
Add some magic to your Halloween costume
We covered the whole ‘half-baked’ mistake, but there’s something about adding a few little extras that can make a good Halloween costume and make it something pretty spectacular.
HAIR – don’t forget the do! If you’re Edward Scissorhands – do the frizzy freaky hair and go all the way with it. If your friends don’t even know who you’re dressed as – drop it all together. See OOD*
BLOOD – if you’re going as a vampire, zombie, walking dead, psycho nurse or anything that could have blood – then get the bloody blood happening. It will help take your outfit up a notch.
EYES – FFS!! For friendly suggestion – get yourself some Halloween coloured contacts. Any zombie looks 100 times better with freaky Halloween lenses in. It’s the same story with Dracula, Harley Quinn, Pennywise, the Hulk… you name it! There are some killer Halloween lenses that you can use to really lift your game and make sure you won’t look lame.
AND – the great thing about Halloween contact lenses are that they can rescue any crappy idea if you choose wisely.
Something like a pair of Blackout contact lenses can work a treat for a powerful punch that does more than spending 100’s on an elaborate outfit that you look all wrong wearing.
Any scary, spooky or kooky outfit looks a million bucks with something like a pair of Bloodshot Drops contacts. All you have to do is stare at someone for more than a second and they will be under your special spell.
Oh and finally, that OOD* – or Out of Date costume idea
Of all the Halloween costume ideas you can have, remember to stay up to date, not past your Use By.
If no-one knows who you are, then no-one is going to want to know who you are. Now, that might sound harsh, but make sure you ask more than one person if they’ve heard of your choice of a Halloween character. If it’s a No – then the idea has to Go!
Avoid any TV character that is – too old, too hard to recognise or just doesn’t fit the Halloween vibe (Mad Men for Halloween – errrrh, No!)
If you want to go all obscure, then stick with it and have a laugh with the only other person who knows you’re the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. (Ask your folks, or maybe your Grandparents but don’t ask why no-one is really going Wow at your get-up).
There you have it.
Whatever you do, enjoy yourself and remember – the best Halloween costume ideas go even better with the best Halloween contact lenses.
Get yours today! There’s a dead set gorgeous pair waiting for you at MesmerEyez.